Yes, version 7 of the flagship product from Microsoft, the successor of the not so overwhelmingly popular Windows Vista. Going by the release of this edition of Windows, it won't be unsafe to say, they finally got it right!
Having received thrashing from all corners of the world and from all user bases, including Developers, for the earlier version of Windows, “Windows Vista”, Microsoft was under tremendous pressure to recapture its lost esteem in the ever dominated arena of Operating Systems.
How many of us know the full names of operating systems that don’t start with the word Windows? Apple Mangoes anybody?
Truth be told, no matter how many times we hate that Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) or the sudden domination of the invisible force that hangs our work (and us literally), Windows is “the One” when it comes to the system software that runs atop stupid hardware!
Windows 7 is in the Release Candidate phase, meaning it’s almost complete, and is awaiting final feedback from users worldwide before final release to manufacturing (RTM). You can download it here.
Here’s what you need to have:
- Windows Media Player 12 - simply awesome!
- Math Input Panel - awestruck!
- Sticky Notes - why wasn't it included earlier?
- Calculator - on steroids!
- Paint & WordPad - kids grow up finally
Folks, I have been using Windows 7 since its RC (its free until March 01, 2010 after which the computer will start shutting down on itself every 2hours to remind me to purchase the final build). Its hard to believe but once you use Windows 7, u will end up saying "Gosh! How did i never feel the necessity of all these supremely essential features ever ?"
Its insane to say this, but this is by far the best Windows ever!
(Sorry XP darling, you have finally come off age)
Tall claims huh! Well, i can support it with some logic
(deriving from my programming background):
- Built on the failure of Windows Vista, it boasts of all the customer driven improvements that Microsoft received for its previous release of Windows.
- Compatibility, the core of the problem that plagued Vista, gets accurately and reasonably addressed, thanks to the thousands of devices that Windows 7 supports, simply out-of-the-box.
- Superior performance, the gains are clearly visible if you have installed Windows Vista and then migrated to Windows 7. Same platform, same configuration, a boost in performance guaranteed, and as Microsoft claims, RC is just a work-in-progress as far as perf is concerned!
- Customise, customise and customise. The biggest USP of Windows XP, that makes it still the most popular and widely acclaimed version of Windows till date, was customisation. With XP, you controlled your PC, literally. With Vista, they simply messed it up! Accessible options of XP were simply missing or unreachable. With Windows 7, you will experience the ultimate in customisation and usability.
You won't regret it!
Happy Windows 7 exploration!